Aunt Sallie’s Log Cabin Quilt

quilt label

Finally, this last, grown-up quilt for my Aunt Sallie. The colors were a bit of a mistake. I started with a completely different scheme in mind and chose a jelly roll accordingly. Then, there weren’t enough jelly rolls with the same fabrics! I really wanted to make this quilt for my aunt (and my sister wanted me to make this quilt for our aunt) so I found some other jelly rolls that I thought would be OK.

It took me some time to decide just how to piece the huge log cabin blocks… then how to put them together for the top. There was a lot of laying out of fabric and photographing and re-laying out of fabric and more photographing.

That’s how I figure out how to put my quilts together — I lay out the fabric pieces in a pattern that I think might work, photograph the layout, crop and adjust in PhotoShop before manipulating multiples in CorelDRAW.

Sometime it takes a lot of tries before I come up with something that I think will work. Even then, I’m surprised with the result! I’m working on one now that I keep thinking will work — and it doesn’t. 🙁

I created my own quilting design for this quilt and was able to trade it for some time on the long arm at Christie’s QuiltingBoutique to quilt it!

the back of Aunt Sallies Log Cabin Quilt

the back of Aunt Sallies Log Cabin Quilt

Aunt Sallies Log Cabin Quilt

Aunt Sallies Log Cabin Quilt

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *